Friday, August 29, 2008

VP

I was thinking recently that John McCain can't possibly win this election...unless, maybe, he chooses a woman for his running mate. I know a lot of people say that it's just a trick to pull in the female vote, trying to get the Hillary supporters that haven't decided to support Obama yet. But, I don't care. I think it's brilliant. I haven't really decided who to vote for yet but this makes McCain's position a little stronger for me. Besides, even if he is just trying to get more votes it's not like he can change his mind once he's president. If he wins she's the vice president and that's that. And I think the argument that she, or Obama for that matter, doesn't have enough experience is a weak one at best. Often a 'lack of experience' means a person can look at problems from different angles that people with a lot of experience can't or don't because that's 'not the way it's done.' Oooh, and I think I'm one of these 'swing voters' that I keep hearing about on the radio. I could go either way, really.

But I just read this book, "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and some other guy...Oliver Relin...about a guy (Greg Mortenson) who builds schools in Pakistan. It's really good. I totally recommend it. But the point is that it's made me think about the Middle East and how each candidate plans to handle humanitarian aid and post war (or mid-war, whatever) relief for the people in that region. I care about their positions on the war itself but...this may be more important. Anyway, it's a good book and it makes you think. I told Sam the story a little and he thought it was interesting and it gave me a good way to explain about how there are good people all over the world and not all Muslims are terrorists and how important education is.

1 comment:

Darryl said...

I agree. I have always been bothered by people saying a candidate may not have enough experience. Even the most experienced of Presidents is not making decisions alone. He or she is surrounded by a whole host of advisors and experts, ready to tackle any problem.